Your Library Card
Who can get a library card, how to apply, and how to use your library card.
Apply for an Ossian Public Library card at the library during open hours. You must provide: Name, address, phone number and birthdate. You will be asked to show proof of address. Minor patrons will also need a parent or guardian signature
1. Books may be borrowed for a two (2) week period (up to one (1) month with renewal).
2. Reservations for a specific book are permitted. Reserved books will only be held for 3 days if there is another reserve on the book.
3. Renewals are possible unless a reservation list exists for a book. Renewals may be made by phone or in person.
4. Current magazines may be borrowed for one (1) week.5. New patrons will be limited to 10 items at a time for a period of two (2) months if this restriction will be lifted if there are no problems.
6. There is no limit to the number of books or magazines a person may borrow at one time.
7. Any resident of Ossian, the surrounding area, nearby cities, or members of open access are eligible to borrow books and magazines. All borrowers must register by filling out a library card, giving name and address, or by showing the open access library card.
8. If a book or magazine is lost, the charge will be equal to the replacement value of said book or magazine.
9. If a book or magazine is damaged, the charge will be according to the extent of the damage. The maximum charge will be the replacement value of the book or magazine.
10. The library maintains that all library circulation records, individual reference requests, and reading interests of patrons are confidential. Information may be released only under the provisions of the Code of Iowa.
1. May be checked out by persons who have a valid library card.
2. The loan period is one week (with a 1 day grace period)
3. There will be a $1.00 fine per video each day overdue.
4. Videos may not be renewed
5. Videos are available on a first come, first served basis.
6. The library assumes no responsibility for damage caused to a borrower’s media equipment by a video.
7. Patron is responsible for compliance with all applicable restrictions of the copyright laws. Videos may be used only for private home viewing, and are not licensed for group showings unless specifically identified as such.
8. Patron is responsible for returning the video in good condition. In case of loss, theft, or damage the patron will be charged the full replacement cost of the video
Fines and Fees
1. There is a one (1) week grace period with no fine.
2. If materials are not returned by the eighth (8th) day (beginning with the due date), fines will be charged from the due date at five (5) cents a day, per item.
3. Exceptions: VIDEOS. One day grace period. $1.00 day.
NEW MAGAZINES – one day grace period five cents a day.
4. Fines are charged for each overdue day excluding Sundays and holidays.
5. Patron will be declined the right to check out materials until overdue items are returned and the fines have been paid.