You are here: Home / About our Library / History / Library History

Library History

Read how this library was established and how it has evolved to become such an important part of our community.

It was mentioned in the newspaper in 1937 that the new library at the legion rooms will be open to the public on Saturday afternoons. * Then in 1956 the Ossian Public Library was opened above the City Hall for 6 hours a week The first board of trustees was appointed by the mayor in 1963 and in 1964 the library began its association with the State Library and the American Library Association.

In April of 1978 the library relocated to its present location, sharing a building with the  Community Center and city offices.

In 1967 the first of many Summer Reading Programs was held.

The Ossian Public Library is now open 23 1/2 hours a week and is accredited by the State Library of Iowa.

In recent years the library has recieved a Libri grant for children's books, Computers through the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, an Alliant grant for store room shelving and most recently a Winneshiek County Community Foundation-Gaming Revenue grant for work area cabinets.

The library has also funded special projects with funds from the "Horse show and Auction" fundraisers sponsered by Security State Bank of Ossian.

*"The History of Ossian and Military Township" researched and recorded by C.C. Cornell